It’s time to start thinking about your Thanksgiving spread, and is any side more quintessential than mashed potatoes? This year may be the perfect opportunity to jazz them up a bit though. This recipe is great to use with any of our six flavors of Fresh Sheep’s Milk Cheese, but I especially gravitate toward the Rosemary this time of year. It even has a touch of garlic for balance. These mashed potatoes are still everything you love about the classic, but you’ll never want to go back to the sans-cheese version again!
- 3 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks (I like mine with the skins on but you can peel if you prefer)
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 8 ounces of Rosemary Fresh Sheep’s Milk Cheese, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream or full fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole milk, half and half or cream
- salt and pepper
Place the cut potatoes, peeled garlic cloves and a tablespoon of salt into a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook the potatoes for 20-25 minutes until very soft.
Drain the potatoes well and add them back into the pot. Mash the potatoes by hand or run through a food mill for a finer texture. While the potatoes are still hot, mix in the sour cream, Fresh cheese, butter, cream, 4 teaspoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of freshly cracked pepper. Then serve and enjoy!